In London, knowledge of the advances in food preservation was the method developed by Nicolás Appert, consisting of heating them in hermetically sealed bottles at 100ºC. Peter Durand and his partner Auguste de Heine study the subject, their nose of pragmatic researchers who are looking for the usefulness of the new developments detects the possibilities of the subject. They go deeper into the practical realization of this procedure and confirm that the proper design of the containers used is fundamental.
In 1810 Peter Durand presented the patent with a patent that allows “preserving food in glasses made of glass, ceramics, tin or other metals or appropriate materials”. His Majesty George III gives it to him. It explains what this tin cup consists of, it is a cylinder closed at both ends, made of steel coated with tin (tin) whose pieces are joined by welding. Durand realizes the great advantages that this material represents compared to the glass used by Appert: lightness, iromibility, heat conductivity, resistance to corrosion against other metals … and actively works on his project, dedicating himself to being a diligent propagator of the patent Thus it becomes the authentic father of the metallic container and of the industry that manufactures it.
Durand did not personally make cans or packages. It was the English Bryan Donkin and John Hall who, using their registry, began to make trials setting up a small canning workshop. In 1813 they reached an agreement with the British government and sent food cans to the Navy for testing. The first shipments to the colonies were produced and the boats arrived in Canada, Australia and the island of Santa Elena, among others. In this last Napoleon, who had promoted the development by rewarding Nicolás Appert, he was now a prisoner. The manufacture of containers, at the moment was very limited, since all the work was manual and a good craftsman specialized in its execution produced a maximum of 60 units per day.
Many English emigrated to North America in these years. One of them was Thomas Kensett, who brought with him the new knowledge and installed a canning factory in New York putting on the market oysters, meats, fruits and vegetables packed. Initially he used glass jars but soon learned the advantages of tin cans and filed a patent jointly with his father-in-law Ezra Daggelt who recorded the “preservation of food in tin bowls” in the United States and which was granted by President James Monroe in 1825
From these facts the canning industry spread with great force on both continents.